|Project Health||Project Phase||Target Completion Date|
|On Track||Build and Implement||10/31/2021|
The UCPath HR information system requires Federal Work Authorization Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 data from a separate compliance system called Tracker I-9. During the implementation of UCPath and Tracker I-9 for UC Berkeley in March of 2019, this latter system was meant to integrate with UCPath to consolidate the employment eligibility verification data with the employee's record. However, for some years, this integration has not properly worked, requiring UC Berkeley Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) HR to process new hires and rehires in a much more manual way than previously envisioned had the Tracker I-9 API worked properly.
Now, the Tracker I-9 API has begun to work in the manner designed, and BRS HR will need to look into updating their processes and systems to align with this integration.
If BRS HR can redesign its processes to align and take advantage of the UCPath and Tracker I-9 API to feed connect the data, this can reduce some of the many manual steps and workarounds that BRS HR must do in order to ensure the Tracker I-9 employment eligibility is attached to the employee's record in UCPath.
Additionally, these process changes and subsequent communications of earlier deadlines to departments may help new and re-rehires obtain access to systems earlier, allowing them to be more functional in the roles on Day 1.
To implement a hiring process change within BRS HR Regions and the Central Onboarding team that will allow them to take advantage of the Tracker I-9 API integration in order to reduce the manual workarounds that are currently required to connect the Tracker I-9 data to the employee's record in UCPath. With this, hopefully reduce not just the manual work, but also any duplicative or erroneous data or records, increase compliance by relying more upon the specialized systems better designed to capture this data, and ensure new/rehires are able to be productive on Day 1 of their jobs.
- Implement the new process change with BRS HR and the Central Onboarding team.
Sponsor: Marc Fisher
Project Manager: Isabel Nguyen
Functional Lead: Jeremy Engleman
Change Manager: Chris DeMarco
For more information on this project, contact:
Project Health: At Risk
- Type of Risk/Issue: Schedule
- Description: If the launch of the ServiceNow Service Hub is delayed, then the UCPath & Tracker I-9 API integration process will also be delayed.
- Mitigation Plan:
- There is not a rush to launch the new process, so it can wait and continue with a timed launch to the ServiceNow Service Hub implementation on 10/25.
- Type of Risk/Issue: Other
- Description: Training for ServiceNow Service Hub will not incorporate a step-by-process instructor-led walkthrough, something that BRS staff has previously been accustomed to. Because of this, there could be confusion in the change management for this process launch against the backdrop of the ServiceNow Service Hub with BRS staff.
- Mitigation Plan:
- The Project Manager has discussed with both the ServiceNow Service Hub PM, Communications Lead, and Training Lead about both the training and process change management concerns. There is a recommendation to discuss this with HR Managers and Regional training leads on what the best approach will be to manage change on both of these projects together and how to set up the training to accommodate it.
- Type of Risk/Issue: Resource, Schedule
- Description: Due to resource constraints and organizational changes, speaking to the Work Authorization and Quality Assurance team (WAQA) leadership, each region may need to implement this process on their own timeline, instead of strictly adhering to one "go live" date (originally coinciding with the launch of Service Hub on 10/25/21).
This process was meant to also increase compliance around the I-9, due to its close integration with Tracker I-9; however, if it is not implemented simultaneously, then WAQA team needs to review how best to ensure compliance is maintained across regions.
- Mitigation Plan:
- Teams will have the option to go live with the process when Service Hub goes live on 10/25/21 (the system is designed to accommodate both processes), but if not, then the regions will need to work out the implementation timeline or their process with the WAQA team to ensure compliance.
Project Phase: Build and Implement
- Oct 2021: Service Hub has implemented changes to accommodate the new process, including updating task language, process diageams, and workflows.
- TBD (in discussion) - Training Design Complete
- TBD (in discussion) - BRS Staff Training Complete
- 10/25/2021 - Soft launch of UCPath & Tracker I-9 API integration process in certain regions, with the full adoption to be integrated into operations and compliance through the WAQA Team.