|Project Health||Project Phase||Target Completion Date|
|On Track||Build and Implement||12/31/2021|
“Elements of our country’s law enforcement culture dehumanize some of the very people whose safety and wellness police officers are sworn to protect, especially the Black community. Here, on campus, we know and have acknowledged that we can and must do better to find new approaches to policing and community safety. “ - Chancellor Christ 6/18/2020 email to campus
As part of the Reimagining UC Berkeley Campus and Community Safety Program, relocating the UCPD would reduce its visibility to those entering the campus through the Sather Gate entrance and make Sproul Hall an even more student-focused location.
- To identify and relocate the UCPD out of prominence near the campus’ central location, Sproul Plaza.
- Acceptance by the Independent Advisory Board (IAB) of the solution for relocating the UCPD out of prominence near Sproul Plaza.
- Sponsor: Chancellor Carol Christ
- Project Manager: Russ Ballati
For more information on this project, contact:
Project Health: On Track
- Type of Risk/Issue: Schedule
- Description: 4th St parking may not be able to accommodate the two large UCPD vehicles needing to be temporarily relocated
- Mitigation Plan:
- Determine what modifications, cost, and timing would be needed to expand the newly built fenced parking for Parking & Transportation buses
- Revisit alternative parking locations
- Type of Risk/Issue: Budget, Schedule, Scope
- Description: The cost to relocate the UCPD out of Sproul Hall is prohibitively costly as a new location would be required to adhere to seismic requirements for essential services. No current building options are seismically ready. Under the current budget challenges the cost of relocation may not be an immediate option. The timing for determining how to handle the exorbitant relocation costs may push out the schedule.
- Mitigation Plan:
- Review alternative options (Completed January 2021)
- Present issue/alternatives to IAB for input (Completed June 2021)
- Submit outcomes to Chancellor Christ for consideration
Project Phase: Build and Implement
- June 2021: Reviewed relocation options with the IAB co-chairs.
- October 2021: Command Vehicles move to 4th St.